sexta-feira, agosto 19, 2005

Os ombros de gigantes (Coupland)

"The second story, well, it's a bit more complex, and I've never told anyone before. It's about a young man - oh, get real - it's about me.
It's about me and something else I want desperately to have happen to me, more than just about anything.
This is what I want: I want to lie on the razory brain-shaped rocks of Baja. I want to lie on these rocks with no plants around me, traces of brine on my fingers and a chemical sun burning up in heaven. There will be no sound, perfect silence, just me and oxygen, not a thought in my mind, with pelicans diving into the ocean beside me for glimmering mercury bullets of fish.
Small cuts from the rocks will extract blood that will dry as quickly as it flows, and my brain will turn into a thin white cord stretched skyward up into the ozone layer and humming like a guitar string. And like Dag on the day of his death, I will hear wings, too, except the wings I hear will be from a pelican, flying in from the ocean - a great big dopey, happy-looking pelican that will land at my side and then, with smooth leathery feet, waddle over to my face, without fear and with an elegant flourish - showing the grace of a thousand wine stewards - offer before me the gift of a small silvery fish.
I would sacrifice anything to be given this offering."

(Douglas Coupland, Generation X)


Free Hit Counter